How will the intervention help?
Traditional cook stove
- No chimney results in significant smoke exposure – this exacerbates existing asthma disease burden and may lead to chronic lung disease
- Inefficient – traditional cook stoves require much more wood than does an improved cook stove. This means women and children must expend large amounts of calories and time collecting firewood.
- Increased burn risk – given the increased exposure to the fire, children are more likely to get burned.
Improved cook stove
- Chimney reduces smoke exposure
- By controlling air flow, significantly less firewood is needed
- Reduced burn risk because less exposure to the fire
- Wood form
- Locally harvested and prepared mud
- Plancha – flat metal plate cooking surface, approximately 2 ft x 3 ft.
- Chimney and rain cover
- Metal can as form for chimney attachment
- Create a platform out of adobe and mud
- Install form
- Form doorway for wood out of 3 adobe bricks
- Fill form with mud
- Install chimney and plancha
- Allow to cure for at least 48 hours
Total Monetary Cost
- $35 - $40 per stove, depending on amount of chimney pipe required
- Honduran provides all local materials, unskilled labor and 20% of monetary cost
How Can You Help?
- Donate funds to purchase the required materials.
$35 US will improve the health of the cook stove family in a long term manner.